7.9.06

Are We Having Fun Yet or What?


In my travels in SL I have run into the RL vs. SL argument on several occassions. This generally occurs after the person has blown me off or failed to do something that they promised to do. They generally plead with me to understand that RL must come first and this occurs normally after I have confronted them. The problem I have with this argument is that I DO UNDERSTAND and the person needs to give me more credit than some bullshit excuse that they pulled out of their ass when I put them on the spot.
See in my RL I am a mother of two, a wife, and a full-time student. On top of that I am homeschooling my youngest child and I still manage to do what is asked of me in SL. When I was having ISP issues, I made it a point to take myself off of the DJ rotation at The Cutlass just in case I crashed when I was supposed to be DJing. I even went as far as to go to a pay phone and call one of the other club owners to let them know what was going on ( I have a VOiP phone at home. No internet, no phone). It was common courtesy and deceny. This way no one is left hanging looking for me to DJ and they are prepared to have someone take my place.
In the age of emails, instant messages and cell phones, is it really to much trouble to say "Hey sorry I can't make it."? Or have common courtesy and responsibility gone out the window? Yes, it is just a game but that does not mean that the you should check your manners at the door. It is not fair to others who are counting on you to do what you said you would. We must not forget that there are people at the end of these AVs and if you promise that you are going to do something, someone is one the other end logging in to make sure you kept your promise. For that other person it could be as early as 6 in the morning or as late as 10 in the evening. They could be missing much needed sleep to meet you. You never know. So if you are not going to be able to make it, at least do them the courtesy of letting them know so that they are not sitting there waiting for you.
RL will always trump SL but common decency always is appreciated.

Dani

Everybody else was killed on the street! Lauren was killed in the middle of her own living room! She was special ... why? Because she cursed him, that's why!
Luke (Ronny Cox)
The Car (1977)

4 Comments:

At 9/07/2006 10:36 AM, Blogger Erbo Evans said...

Or, to put it another way: When you go in-world, you don't check your manners at the login screen. Show courtesy to people in SL as you would in RL.

 
At 9/07/2006 5:43 PM, Blogger Akela Talamasca said...

Bollocks! Bollocks, I say! BOOLLLLLAAARRRRCCCKKKKKSSSSSSS!!!

 
At 9/07/2006 6:52 PM, Blogger Dani said...

Only *YOU* can get away with that Wolfie, only you.
Damn furball :-)

 
At 9/12/2006 6:42 PM, Blogger AllieKat Stovall said...

i need to upgrade my laptop. and for the record dialup sucks.

i agree with you guys on this. i should be home for about a week, maybe a tad longer. then i get to come back to this wonderful island, and from there. i am not sure where i will be going. that hasnt been decided upon yet.

i miss all of you... alot...
Allie =)

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home